Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Native American Holiday







I was given an assignment in my English Composition class to create a holiday. The holiday I have chosen to create is Celebrate Native Americans. I think they should be celebrated, they are after all the ones that were living in this great country of ours first. I am biased on this subject because I am Native American 3/4 anyway. My great great great great grandfather is Chief Cochise and I am from the tribe of the Chiricahua Apaches. There is much about our Native American brothers and sisters to be celebrated and remembered. Our cultures are intertwined.

The day I chose to celebrate this holiday is June 8th, that is the day Cochise slipped into eternity. I am sure there are other great dates that could be chosen but this one is special to me.

The symbols for this Holiday would be a Peace Pipe.

This holiday would incorporate parades with all of the tribes represented, followed by a big meal in town squares or community centers, anywhere that could hold a large number of people. With meals of typical Indian fair being served and a handout on each of the dishes being served so that everyone would know what they are eating and why it is being served. Then there would be a time for some of the Natives to share stories and a time of dancing around a campfire. Having games for the children, targets set up for practice with a bow and arrow, horse rides for children. Indian dress, jewelry, baskets, blankets and more for sell, especially their pottery for others to enjoy and to help support the Natives to have a better life. There could even be a station set up so that children could have their faces painted to experience what that was like.

Traditions that I hope that would come from this is for those of us in this country and those that belong to a tribe would sit around and share their heritage or the stories that they know from when the Indians were able to roam this land as free men and women. I would hope that plays would be put on depicting the history of the Native Americans.

I have this wonderful picture in my head of what I would hope this day would look like but I can't seem to find the words to do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment